Sunday, January 22, 2012

German Bars, Car Museums, Fastnacht, and Fleisch Fondue

Friday Night

I went to my first German bar on Friday with some co-workers.  Beer is amazing, cheap and served in glasses double the size of those in Canada.  Jagermeister is also a staple of the German nighttime diet.
Highlights: I fling my arms around trying to explain things in my current English/German conglomeration, and one of those arms happened to knock a beer onto my co-workers.  Whoops.  Also, they play Cher at the bar here.  Do you believe in life after love?

Saturday Morning

Sucked.

Saturday Afternoon

I took a train to Böblingen to see Meilenwerk (a car dealership/museum/hotel), where I found my personal utopia.  Brace yourself.

Beauty of a Cobra

Grumpy rich lady isn't pleased.  Mercedes 300SL Convertible

 New Lamborghini Aventador

I was going to wait for the guy behind the Cobra to move, but it turned out to be a mannequin.  

Fiat 500 

Awesomeness

Yup.

McLaren

Yes.

Porsche in the '60s

Lamborghini Reventon

Conclusion: one happy Ben.

The city of Böblingen was rather unpleasant at this time of year, and I didn't want to tarnish its image with grey, ugly pictures.  Not that I'm going to give it another chance.

Sunday Morning


I woke up significantly less hungover than Saturday and hopped on a train to Löffingen, where I went to an indoor soccer practice with a couple friends - Flo (who I met when I got off the train at Löffingen) and Benni.  2 hours of realization that I need to get back into shape ensued.

Next, we grabbed lunch and went to one of the first parades of Fastnacht (Carnival).  These parades are nothing like those back home.  Know how they say "everyone loves a parade"?  That actually applies here.



Women innocently watching on the sides are grabbed by masked men an thrown on moving beds, where they're wrestled with, headstanded(?) on, and are subjected to general masked shenanigans.. You'll be whacked with balloons on sticks, have confetti stuffed down your back, or like Flo have a parader try to drag you away - he dump tackled the drunk parader into the snow bank.  Oh, I forgot to mention everyone is drunk.  Good times, and it's only going to get better from here!

I then had tea with Flo's grandparents and listened to the conversation, understanding one out of every 20 words.  Words like "not (nicht)" and "ski (ski)".  This was my daily reality check that I need to keep learning.

When we got back to Löffingen, we missed the train by 10 seconds, so I had dinner with Flo's super friendly and welcoming family.  German-prepared Fleisch (meat) Fondue was fantastic, and it reminded me that I need to get a place with a kitchen.  This toaster oven cooking just isn't cutting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment