Monday, April 2, 2012

Zurich So Rich

This past Friday night consisted of a huge 1000+ person annual IMS Gear information session.  Sounds fun, eh?  Actually, it was.  Limitless delicious food from the buffet, an open bar, and plenty of fun people to talk to.  There was also a traditional German band playing songs like Summer of '69 on marching band instruments, and I'm still undecided how I feel about that.  However, the night was disappointingly shenanigan-free, and I didn't feel bad about leaving before midnight.



Don't trust weather forecasts.



I woke up bright, early, and still full on Saturday morning.  The forecast predicted a cool 12-degree day and a city socked in by fog.  I decided to go anyway.

After a transfer in Singen, I took a seat in the Swiss inter-city train.  A 77 year old lady sat next to me, and we had an incredibly broken conversation in German, with frequent searches through my handy-dandy phrase book.  My German is improving, but have a long way to go before I can carry out a regular conversation.  For now, conversations are super animated and incredibly entertaining.



Anyway, about that weather.  This is what greeted me when I stepped outside:



Yeah.  19 degrees and sun.  I dropped by the tourist office, picked up a city guide, and started my 6 hour walk around the city.  10 minutes into the walk, my jacket, sweater, and flannel vanished.  Poof.  Zap.  Snap Crackle and Pop.

The view from Lindenhof, a hillside with history from 1500 B.C.

Also from Lindenhof

Took a stroll down to the docks.  One boat appeared to have a problem.  

Mercedes 300SL, as seen next to the market on the bridge (see previous picture)

Pissoir.  I'm never calling it a urinal again.

The lake was spectacular

Proof I was there, and still pale from the winter

Heavy processing shows the view of the Alps beyond the lake

Statue preparing to karate chop a falcon

Jokes.  

Phb-b-b-b-b-b-b-b (try it)

I'd have lunch here, but I'm on a budget of less than "I have a boat in Zurich" 

Classy hotel

More panning action

The Grossmünster (Big-ass church) had really cool stained glass made from thin slices of agate.  Unfortunately I wasn't allowed to take pictures inside.  

A sign on a bar window

Toblerone Bicycle!

3 Towers (as seen from the university)

They have nice study areas here

Just the main hall in the university. No biggie

An ancient tram carries students from the city below during the week.  I walked, seeing as it was a Saturday.  


After all of that, I successfully managed to spend a grand total of 0 Swiss Francs in one of the world's most expensive cities!

I went back to the train station.  This was happening:



Hockey is played with a little European flair here.  Translation: more beer, less clothes.


I took a slightly different route home in order to check out the Rhine Falls.  As it turns out, entrance to the viewing area was free after 5 p.m., so I succeeded in spending a day in Switzerland having contributed nothing to their economy!

The falls

Viewing platform over the water

The quantity of water rushing towards the platform was incredible

Another angle of the viewing platform


I woke up on Sunday expecting to hear the pitter-patter of rain and a gloomy day outside, as the forecast had predicted.  Nope, brilliant sunshine all day.  Scumbag weather.  I still followed through with my original plan of trip planning, and spent 14 hours in front of the computer.  You'll find out where I'm going as the weeks go by!


There may or may not be an update next week, as I probably won't have access to a computer.  Just sayin'

No comments:

Post a Comment