Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Stuttgart Gearhead Weekend #2

I had a German exchange roommate named Anton at UBC two years ago.  A shy, relatively reclusive fellow with a hilarious and outgoing girlfriend from California, he came and left without leaving much of an impression (except for stealing my bowls from the kitchen).

On Friday night I went to the town of Eisenbach (pop. ~2000) for my friend Simon's birthday and housewarming get-together.  Two of his friends had lived in Vancouver for a year, studying at UBC and skiing at whistler - what are the chances?  After some pizza and conversation, I decided to pop the big question.  "It's a long shot, but did you know a guy named Anton?"  

Yes. Yes they did know Anton, and even had a class with him.  To sum things up: Germany has a population of about 81 million.  Less than 100 German undergraduate students study at UBC each year.  Anton is shy.  Anton does not live anywhere close to where I am now (I think he was from Munich? I could be mistaken).  With the exception of finding out I wasn't invited to Anton's going-away party, that made my night awesome.

Anton - if you read this, no hard feelings.  Even though I invited you to my birthday.


I was going to go to Karlsruhe on Saturday but my 3am bedtime put a decisive end to that flakey plan.  I rode my bike around Donaueschingen instead, and went to the park behind this nice little manor:

Local Royalty
I was strolling leisurely through the park with birds singing and the wind rustling through the trees.  Next thing I know these guys decide to fire up a little reminder of my Grade 7 Graduation Ceremony:

Bagpipers.  Hooray
With the ambience drastically changed, I quickened my pace.
The rest of the day was spent riding my too-small bike around aimlessly and practicing my photography at the highway, which didn't result in any great photos.


Sunday was a great day.  I went to Stuttgart again with Sven from work - this time for a ridiculously large car convention.  The Stuttgart messe (convention centre) was packed full with what must have been 15000 cars. Obviously, this made me very happy.  Even though we skipped a few halls, we spent 6 hours walking around the massive venue.  Just for you, I filtered the 350 photos I took down to 7.

Misty-eyed Ford Focus RS

Porsche GT3 RSR

McLaren F1 GTR

Ford Mustang Mach 1

Interior of a Funny Car

Dodge Challenger R/T

Chevrolet Camaro RS

Sunday also marked a milestone for my Germany trip: my first ride on the unrestricted Autobahn!

It's ridiculous to think that this is legal here:

On the way to 220 km/h

The trip time was reduced considerably from the previous weekend.  Think 45 minutes vs 2 hours by train.  This also made me very happy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment