Wednesday, February 22, 2012

It's Fasching Season!

For the last few weeks the go-to conversation topic at work has been this Fasnet thing.  I'd heard subtle phrases here and there: "costumes," "huge parties," "parades," "hexenball," "everybody's drunk," "SO excited," and the like.  After spending many a night mulling through these clues trying to figure out what they could mean, I had a sudden epiphany: this weekend was going to be awesome.

Such a powerful and insightful prediction!

I talked to Herr Bausch (my boss) and secured a 5-day weekend.  Thursday night rolled around and I hopped on the train to the 8000-person town of Löffingen for Flo and Fabienne's birthdays and the start of Fasnet.  We all got into our costumes and prepared to begin the weekend in style.


A now-hazy night of dancing and colourful outfits ensued, and I woke up on Friday feeling [slightly..] under the weather.  Since Saturday night was to be the biggest event, I took it easy on Friday.


This year marked the 50th year of Hexenball (Hexen = Witch in German) in Löffingen.  However, the Fasnet tradition, marking the end of the reign of the cold, grim winter spirits, has been around for much longer.  We bought our tickets and prepared for another night of madness - the shoddy pictures I took don't do Saturday night justice

 Yes, they had a massive wooden slide in the middle of the party

 Live traditional Fasnet music on stage

Mr. JustAFleshWound had to shave his head the next day

Flo had a habit of wiping his face on everyone he could find


Out until 5am, I woke up at 11:30 on Sunday feeling fresh and energetic!  Jokes, I took the train home to wash the hundreds of spilled drinks off my decidedly displeased body.  Sunday night was another much-needed night of rest, and I woke up on Monday with a righteous head cold.

I got back to Löffingen in time to get into my costume (this time with 5-minute facepaint!) and head to the town centre to watch the parade.  Everyone loves a parade!


So it begins

People innocently watching get kidnapped and hauled out by the witches

Force-fed, abused, and made to drink from stinky moccasins, this poor guy was on display in front of hundreds of people after the parade.  

Apparently he wants to be one of the town's 20-ish witches next year.  Alright.    

 Night-time theatrics

Oh, those witches and their tricks



Being the end of the Fasnet weekend, we all went out for yet another night.  Unlike Thursday, I began the night with a full stomach.  This resulted in a Ben that wasn't out of commission by midnight, though I did need a pizza & powerade recharge at 12:30.  This worked wonders, and I was able to go back to the bar-turned-dancehall to further destroy my lungs and legs.

 Flo once again wiping his face on everyone

A photobomb for the ages!

Being a non-smoker, my airsacs couldn't tolerate the amount of smoke in the air.  Inside, outside, inside, outside, I went from a smoke-filled sauna into frigid winter air countless times that night.  I now write to you with one of the gnarliest coughs I've had in a long time.

Totally worth it.


See ya next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment