Wednesday, May 9, 2012

A Weekend in Town

This past weekend was a good one to choose to stay in Donaueschingen.  Being Baden-Württemberg-Tag (This province's big celebration day), there were parties everywhere and a massive stage set up right outside my window.  

Friday was your typical finish-work-and-go-until-4:30am kinda day.  Donaueschingen hosted a "rock-n-roll jamboree," complete with 1960's music, slicked-back hair, and genuine rockabillies.  It started with a free concert outside, where I ran into co-workers and my boss, and things went from there.  Everyone who was anyone was in Donaueschingen, and every bar in town was packed full. 

The Outdoor Concert


The night was set up so the 7 bands would play for a set amount of time, and take a coordinated break, in which you were meant to move from one bar to another to listen to new music.  I ended up seeing three of the bands, and spending half of the time outside.  For some reason, the pseudo-comprehensible drunk 1960's rock didn't agree with my ears.  

Rockin' Rockabillies

After a night of dancing, wandering and talking to some major characters, including an incredibly drunk Belgian guitarist, I found myself alive and well on Saturday afternoon.  


I went to Villingen that night with my friends Fabian and Carmen, as well as a few of Carmen's friends who were in town.  We went into town and drank and talked to some 57-year-old eccentric actor (me in my ever-improving but still abysmal German) for a while, before moving to the Irish Bar for some free peanuts.  

Another solid 8 hours of sleep and I was ready for Beer Culture Day in Donaueschingen.  I wandered around for a while, and took a quick free tour through the brewery.  

On the way in

Silos of Beer.  Self-guided tours leave room for imagination.  

Critical Scientific Development

Awesome Old-School Copper Vats

Preparation

Labelling and Capping the Bottles


After arriving back home, my friend Andreas gave me a text: "Hey Ben, where are you ? Come to the Brewery, i have a lot of Beer for free!!"  


Oh. 

Ok.  


So I went to the brewery, where I drank free beer on a Sunday afternoon.  It was good.  

Oh yeah, and things are getting beautiful here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment